Website

Friday 4 March 2011

My Lagan Love


"My Lagan Love" is a traditional Irish song from the 15th to 16th century found in Donegal. It was written during a time in Irish history when it was forbidden to write openly about Ireland, or express love, devotion, or nationalism towards the country. The Irish had decided to write songs that indirectly would reference their love for their mother country; they would refer to Ireland as a beautiful woman. Hence, "My Lagan Love" speaks erotically and poetically about a beloved woman which is also a beloved homeland.  (Source – Wikipedia)

But I can’t help but think that there is more to it than that.
I would like to believe that this song is about another forbidden love – The Lenanshee!
At the time, 15th and 16th century, Ireland was still resisting foreign occupation – particularly in the lands of defiant clans – like the O’Donnell’s whose independent sovereignty survived until 1601.
The song has a haunting quality that whispers of the Old Ways, which, despite the suppressing efforts of Christianity, survive even if only as superstition.
I believe the song echoes the longing of some long dead Bard honouring his Muse! Hey, it makes as much sense as what the Irish people spent the last ten years believing in.

1 comment:

  1. Peter,
    I have been made aware of your book Lagan Love.
    Of course, being Belfast born and bred, my thoughts bring me to think of the River Lagan in Belfast.

    The song though is a haunting melody and very nicely sung by Sheila Chandra.
    Good Luck with your book!
    Best wishes, Eileen O'Neill

    ReplyDelete